Theology in Sound Bites – 4
There is so much confusion in our Christian life, what it means to live it, what does it look like. If one studies it one will hear terms like Justification, Sanctification, Union With Christ, Eternal Security, God’s Will, Love, Grace, Law, Mercy and other terms. While in a blog of our size it is impossible, nor is it our intent to go free diving to depths unknown in these areas, it is our intent to introduce terms, statements, reflections and thoughts on what we see as theological truth.
Martin Luther said the following and we would echo it;
“Some of us get one part right. Other teachers get other parts right. None of us get it all right…..One falls in one thing, one in another. Others will see what I do not. What then follows – by that we should help one another and make allowances for those who error as knowing that we either have erred or shall error ourselves…..I know that he must be a man of most shameful hardihood who would venture to give out that he understands a single book of Scripture in all its parts.” – Martin Luther
To this we say Amen!
Every month the team releases images based on soundbites of theology as we see it. This post which will come out every month will have a new collection of those soundbites. We always welcome a challenge and would invite you to send us an email with questions and thoughts, keeping in mind that we may have indeed forgotten something or you may see something that we do not see, as Luther said. That is what we call iron sharpening iron.
It’s our prayer that in these quotes others may know or be reminded of the wonderful mercy and love that is ours when walking in God’s Grace.
- Grace is one of God’s many characteristics and quite possibly the one that best defines Him.
- Found both in the law and gospel is God’s love and grace.
- His grace enables us to live the law, while his gospel declares who we are now in Him, so that we can see in spite of our failure to keep His law perfectly, we’re still one of His children.
- We define grace as God’s unmerited favor. We define gospel as that which he has proclaimed. So, in other words we might say that grace is who He is, how He speaks and what he does. Gospel is that which he has said.
- In God’s Word we can find a lot of words, but in truth everything God has said in his word can be broken down into two words. Those two words are “Law” and “Gospel.”
- In simple terms the law is what God has told men what to do and what not to do. In an expanded term (the law), is that which God gives which holds back evil, disorder and brings civility to men. It is also that which condemns, accuses and judges.
- The law, also shows us the character of God, along with how God designed life to work.
- It is said that gospel means, “good news” and while the law is definitely not bad news, it brings with it bad news. Because it tells us that without Christ, how really rotten we are, how corrupted we are and how miserable we are.
- The law drives us to the beautiful One the gospel tells us about and then shows us how to reveal that same beauty to others.
- The mirror of the law shatters our self-made images of our preconceived self-importance, goodness, self-righteousness and deflates our egos. As it reveals that it is not others who abuse, misuse, and are ungrateful for God’s love and grace the most, but ourselves.