Theology in Sound Bites – 9
There is so much confusion in our Christian life, what it means to live it, what does it look like. If one studies it one will hear terms like Justification, Sanctification, Union With Christ, Eternal Security, God’s Will, Love, Grace, Law, Mercy and other terms. While in a blog of our size it is impossible, nor is it our intent to go free diving to depths unknown in these areas, it is our intent to introduce terms, statements, reflections and thoughts on what we see as theological truth.
Martin Luther said the following and we would echo it;
“Some of us get one part right. Other teachers get other parts right. None of us get it all right…..One falls in one thing, one in another. Others will see what I do not. What then follows – by that we should help one another and make allowances for those who error as knowing that we either have erred or shall error ourselves…..I know that he must be a man of most shameful hardihood who would venture to give out that he understands a single book of Scripture in all its parts.” – Martin Luther
To this we say Amen!
Every month the team releases images based on soundbites of theology as we see it. This post which will come out every month will have a new collection of those soundbites. We always welcome a challenge and would invite you to send us an email with questions and thoughts, keeping in mind that we may have indeed forgotten something or you may see something that we do not see, as Luther said. That is what we call iron sharpening iron.
It’s our prayer that in these quotes others may know or be reminded of the wonderful mercy and love that is ours when walking in God’s Grace.
- Through the gospel we see that suffering does not define us as failures, sinners or as not having enough faith.
- Because of the gospel suffering need not mean God is punishing us, unhappy with us, as it may just mean, he is simply grabbing our hearts to awaken our affections.
- God always responds to us through the merits of Christ, not our demerits, as it tells us that we have received a doctorate in law keeping, while Christ was expelled from the school of law keeping.
- The message of the gospel is that Christ came, broke the chains and busted the cages, returned beauty to dead, decaying corpses.
- Gospel news tells us of how God broke the hold of stone hearts so that we might enjoy the freshness and newness of the freedom that comes from a new heart.
- The gospel is always about what God is doing, has done or what Christ did, is doing and what the Holy Spirit is doing, it is always about what they are doing for us.
- The gospel is always the good news of either something that God has done, or a story which reveals how God has acted on our behalf.
- Gospel news always brings a promise which reveals that something that the Father or Christ, has done, will do or is doing for us,. without any action on your part.
- His grace enables us to live the law, while his gospel declares who we are now in Him.
- God’s law always shows us that in God’s eyes, without Christ, we are a horrible, defiled, less than human, zombie of a creature. Thus showing us our need for Christ.